WEST CALCASIEU CAMERON HOSPITAL FOUNDATION/MAC BURNS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Purpose: To participate in a scholarship program that would benefit a graduating senior in the service district of West Calcasieu Cameron Hospital (WCCH) who has chosen a career in the medical field, and who will be attending McNeese State University in the fall and spring semesters after graduation from high school.
- Hackberry High School
- Sulphur High School
- Vinton High School
- Westlake High School
The scholarship will be awarded to a graduating high school senior who has distinguished himself/herself by:
- Exhibiting diligence and determination in their scholastic endeavors;
- Exercising effective and positive leadership in school and community activities;
- Exhibiting the desire to continue to work to develop their full potential;
- Expressing a genuine respect for teachers, fellow students and the citizens of the community through their behavior and attitude.
The amount of the scholarship(s) will be a total of $1,600.00 for one year of collegiate work, payable in two $800.00 increments, one for the fall semester and one for the spring semester following graduation from high school (disbursement based on adherence to the terms of the scholarship). The name of the recipient will be announced during the awards/graduation program at the high school of the recipient.
The names of the WCCH Foundation/Mac Burns Scholarship applicants will be kept strictly anonymous during the selection process.
A committee appointed by the WCCH Foundation Board will cast their independent vote on the student(s) whom they feel best meet the criteria set forth in the scholarship program.
- The student must be able to document/demonstrate financial need.
- Assuming that the academic credentials are equal, priority will be given to the person not already receiving substantial scholarships from other sources and who has the greatest need for financial assistance. Any scholarships applied for or already received must be listed on the resume’.
REQUIREMENTS OF RECIPIENT:
The grant scholarship will be open to a high school senior who has chosen a career in the medical field, who is attending high school in the service district of West Calcasieu Cameron Hospital, and who will be attending McNeese State University in the fall and spring semesters after graduation from high school.
He/she must have achieved a minimum 3.0 average in high school, and must have been accepted or must have applied and then get accepted for entry to McNeese State University for the fall semester after graduation from high school.
DOCUMENTS THAT MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH APPLICATION:
The applicant must complete/include a resume’ which includes but is not limited to, all the requirements of the scholarship as listed:
- High school transcript
- Essay-typed statement entitled “Why I Am Applying for the West Calcasieu Cameron Hospital Foundation/Mac Burns Scholarship”
- List of community activities
- Three letters of recommendation; but only one being from a teacher/counselor. We are also requesting that at least one letter be from a supervisor if applicant worked or volunteered somewhere.
- Attendance record for each high school year.
- ACT score.
- GPA on 4 point scale, and on 5 point grading scale if available.
- Ranking in class.
- List of other scholarships or financial assistance already acquired.
AFTER THE SCHOLARSHIP IS AWARDED
- The recipient must register for a minimum of twelve (12) semester hours of scholastic work at McNeese State University in a career in the medical field, commencing the next regular collegiate semester following graduation from high school. (A certificate will be given to the recipient during the awards program at his/her high school and the check will be issued when proof of registration is verified by the Executive Director of the WCCH Foundation).
- To be eligible for the scholarship for the following spring semester, the recipient must have completed the fall semester with sufficient hours of scholastic work to be considered a full time student at McNeese State University, must have attained a 2.8 GPA for the fall semester and must have maintained the standards and guidelines set forth for this scholarship
- Should funds be disbursed and the recipient does not begin the semester as planned, the recipient will be responsible for refunding the scholarship money to the WCCH Foundation/Mac Burns Scholarship fund for the semester for which he/she is currently registered.
- The recipient’s high school will be notified of the awarding of the scholarship in order to announce at graduation or awards ceremony.
ALL APPLICATIONS AND LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION ARE DUE BY AUGUST 14, 2020, AND MUST BE EMAILED TO ABILLEAUDEAUX@WCCH.COM.
If you have any questions, please contact Anne Billeaudeaux, Executive Director, West Calcasieu Cameron Hospital Foundation at 313-1455.